||Purpose: Establish an integrated renewable energy (RE) enterprise in Lesotho to serve urban and rural regions with renewable energy products, design solutions, conservation and efficiency engineering, as well as whole system design, operation and maintenance. Current market conditions enable this enterprise to assemble a three part package consisting of a photo-voltaic system, a solar hot water heater, and a solar oven for M10,000 ($1,500.00 USD). This package will have a significantly positive impact within a household in Lesotho, take strain off the environment, and deliver quality energy services to clients at a reasonable price.
Beneficiaries: Remote villages and mountainous regions that will not be served by grid electricity connections. Lights, hot water and renewable energy for cooking will be of particular benefit to women and children. Education is enhanced by the provision of light and the capacity to operate small appliances and electronic devices. The availability of hot water in a home at an affordable price, enhances virtually all aspects of human welfare. Lesotho’s climate is ideal for solar cooking, and a basic model being produced by BBCDC can perform main cooking tasks for a household. Thermal devices for hot water and cooking will take strain off the environment, improve indoor air quality, and reduce time spent searching for biomass, and also reduce household carbon emissions.
Location: Southern Lesotho, with initial hub centered in the District of Mohales Hoek, with scope for expansion to all districts of Lesotho.
Duration: 2 years.
• Construct a new workshop, warehouse and sales office in Mohales Hoek.
• Use the new infrastructure to showcase as wide an array of energy efficiency products and practices as possible.
• Procure tools and equipment to facilitate fabrication of solar baking ovens, box cookers, driers, ventilators and customized solar water heating equipment.
• Set up tooling and stores for flexible manufacturing of specific RE items in high demand.
• Open a sales and consulting office at the site that will oversee production, purchasing, marketing and customer care.
• Procure stocks of RE equipment and establish commercial links with suppliers.
• Establish a roster of short term subcontracting teams to be used for installations and general construction.
• Create market presence through multi-media: internet, radio, print, trade functions.
• Institute performance and incentive based compensation systems for all associates of the enterprise including management.